So to help you get fit – both in and out of the bedroom – I’ve put together a simple Libido Do’s and Don’ts List.
2) Drinking too much alcohol: Leads to weight gain (all those empty calories), causes muscle loss and also affects muscle recovery after a workout, and lowers sex drive.
3) Avoid processed foods in general – especially ones that contain cottonseed oils: When it comes to food, the three killers of libido, testosterone and getting lean are sugar, trans fats and chemical preservatives (essentially any food with a label with ingredients you can’t pronounce). I’d like you to particularly pay attention to foods that contain cottonseed oils. Why? Cottonseed oil contains a chemical called gossypol, which has been called the male anti-fertility compound because it reduces both fertility and sperm count in men. Foods like pasta sauces, salad dressings, mayonnaise, peanut butter, chips, margarine and baked goods are likely to contain cottonseed oil. If that’s not enough motivation to get you to read a label, I don’t know what else is!!!
1) Manage your stress and get enough rest
If you’re overworked, stressed and lacking sleep, you’re in trouble. All of these things cause the stress hormone cortisol to be released, which then results in lower testosterone levels – leading to fat storage, sleep disturbance, and a lowered libido.
But the good news is that sleep is the body’s longest regenerative window for testosterone and growth hormones. When we sleep at least 6 hours a night, the body:
- Repairs the damage caused by cortisol
- Renews your testosterone and growth hormones to where they should be for performance
- Boosts the muscle mass building mechanisms
- Regenerates sex hormones
Get more sleep by prioritizing it and noticing the habits you have before bed. I’m also a big proponent of meditation and doing different forms of yoga as it relieves stress and revitalizes sex hormones.
2) Whole foods and quality supplements
Amongst many other whole foods, here’s my food and supplement protocol:
- Sweet potatoes for healthy potassium and blood pressure levels (one of the leading causes of Erectile Dysfunction)
- Beets for testosterone boosting boron
- Berries, watermelon, citrus fruits, tropical fruits, red peppers and cruciferous vegetables like broccoli and brussel sprouts for some fertility enhancing Vitamin C
- Avocados, which contain the “sex vitamin” vitamin E
- Pumpkin, chia, sesame seeds as well as oysters for testosterone-increasing Zinc
- Wild and sustainable fish, flax seeds, walnuts and purslane for Omega 3s that regulate sex hormones
- Wild game and pasture raised animals for good blood flow
- Good fats from pasture raised eggs, coconut oil/milk, grass fed butter and ghee for even more testosterone boosting power
- Soaked and fermented beans and lentils to build quality muscle and tissues
Include the following supplements and herbs:
- Vitamin A, D and Omega 3 mixture from Cod liver oil. Check out these brands
- Anti-stress mineral Magnesium supplement before bed from this brand or this one for better sleep
- Testosterone boosting herbs like Ashwganda, Korean Ginseng (900mg a day) and Fenugreek. Get the herbs from a reputable health food store near you or form this site, this one or this one (dosages will be on labels).
- Gingko Biloba tea from this brand and this one
Any exercise will help, especially the kind that you’ll stick with, but for the purposes of this topic, I recommend the following:
- Integrate exercise like weighted squats, weighted lunges, deadlifts and bench press as well as body-weight exercises like chin-ups and push-ups into your routine. Technique is crucial so make sure you get a trainer, gym floor staffers or friends (who are advanced lifters) to teach you. When you’re exercising against resistance in a safe manner, you’re causing the body to respond by laying more muscle tissue.
- HIIT or High intensity interval training like doing sprints, box fit and tabata training is one of the most effective non-weight training ways to increase testosterone.
- Yoga for stress relief and hormone regulation
4) Get rid of unnecessary environmental toxins
Last but not least, we all need to be mindful of toxins that are in our homes and local environments. Some things are out of your control, but if you care at all about your health, you’ll take these steps ASAP:
- Get rid of BPA containing plastics and replace them with BPA free containers or glass jars
- Get rid of paraben laden soaps, shampoos and laundry detergents as they can disturb and lower your testosterone levels.
When it comes to maintaining our testosterone, libido and muscle mass, it’s just as important to NOT do certain things as it is to DO certain things. You’ve got a strong template here to begin with.
Please don’t keep this blog a secret. Go ahead and share it so you and all your male friends can benefit.
Always remember that I’m available for one-on-one coaching if you want to take it a step further.